This is a sweet blog post, which explains the cooking process of a popular Chettinad sweet dish – ‘kavuni arisi pongal’ (black rice pongal). Similar kind of sweet is called as Bubur Hitam in Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore.
Things you need:
- Black rice (கவுனி அரிசி/kavuni rice) – 1 tumbler
- Jaggery powder (சர்க்கரை) – 3/4 of a tumbler
- Coconut scamble (தேங்காய் கால் மூடி துருவியது) – 1/4 tumbler
- Ghee – 2 spoons
- Salt – a pinch (Only to add taste. Do not add more)
- Soak black rice for 4 hours. Because black rice is so hard. So do not cook like normal rice.
- After soaking the rice, clean it. add 3 tumblers of water. Cook it in Indian rice cooker. Wait for 5 whistles. Wait until steam is released.
- Reduce the flame.
- Open the cooker. Release unnecessary water. Add jaggery powder and stir it well. Make sure the cooker content has sufficient water.
- After jaggery is mixed with rice, add ghee, coconut scramble and pinch of salt and stir it well until it comes to colloidal state.
- Switch off the stove. Serve the dish to your kids.
It would be a perfect evening time snacks or a perfect dessert for lunch.